Saturday 20 March 2010

Thoughts I had to save for later

My walk today had a totally different character to yesterday. This had a lot to do with the weather and my choice of route to Bamford. I went on the "Derwent Valley Heritate Trail", the prominence of which on the map should have alerted me to it's popularity. At the start were clumps of goretexed teenagers bright as petrol station primulas, saying goodbye to their teachers/parents/scout leaders. Another group I passed, equipped for a hike up a mountain, rather than a stroll by a river, were being patronised by some sort of local area guide, who was asking just as I passed, "High Low [a local hill] - funny name, any ideas or comments?". I got a sympathetic "Hello" from one of the participants.

The upshot of all this, rainy weather, wet surfaces, followed by packs of walkers, was that there was nowhere I felt I could stop. It made me wonder what walkers and painters of old did - waited for better weather probably. Is it a function of our busy schedules that we go out in all weathers because we only have one shot at it? Perhaps that is a positive aspect of having to schedule things so tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment